Visa Checklist for Canadian Citizens

Canadian Citizens

Citizens of Canada and Canadian nationals are exempt from the usual requirement to have a visa to enter the United States; they do require a passport. Students coming to the United States to study will enter the country on a non-immigrant visa, not a tourist visa. You will receive a "Certificate of Eligibility" (form I-20 or DS-2019) from Cleary University with your acceptance letter.

To apply for initial entry as a student you will need the following at the US Port of Entry:

  • Acceptance letter from Cleary University 
  • Form I-20 "Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Status or form DS-2019 "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Program" issued by Cleary University, signed by the Director of International Enrollment Management and by you, the student 
  • Application fee for I-94(Arrival/Departure Record) 
  • Evidence of financial support as stated in the financial section of your I-20 such as:
        • A detailed bank statement from your bank or your parents' or sponsor's bank
        • Evidence of a scholarship
        • Any combination of grants and personal financing which will meet the estimated expenses (including tuition) of your stay in the United States.
  • Receipt of your SEVIS fee* - $200.00 (paid online) - In order to get your student visa, you must present proof of your I-901 SEVIS fee payment at your visa interview.
If you are granted entry, a stamp will be placed on your I-20 and your I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). This stamp is a permit to seek entry to the United States; it does not solely determine how long you can remain in this country.


Please view the I-94 as an entry permit only. Your stay depends on maintaining your status as a student.

*SEVIS stands for Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is a web-based solution, to track and monitor schools and programs, students, exchange visitors and their dependents while approved to participate in the U.S. education system. This system processes all of your documents. Proof of this payment is required when you apply for a visa.

Links to the US State Department of Information Service:

Questions regarding the visa application procedure? Please direct your questions to the United States Embassy or the nearest United States Consulate in the student's home country.