You've got questions. We've got answers! 

Below is a list of ten frequently asked questions (FAQs) that will get you the information you need, right when you need it! But don't worry, if you are still looking for an answer, use our Live Chat feature located at the bottom of the page or email Admissions at admissions@cleary.edu.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there financial aid for international students?

There are no specific financial aid opportunities for our international student population as predicated by the United States government. However international applications may be eligible for an exclusive Cleary University Business Scholarship (C.U.B.S) designed to assist incoming undergraduate students in emerging international markets.

C.U.B.S are limited in each market and extremely competitive. Students must meet specific academic criteria and submit a formal application for consideration. In addition, students who are awarded a C.U.B.S are also required to perform academic work service to Cleary University while they are enrolled (ex. 5-10 hours per week).

What English proficiency test should I take?

Cleary requires applicants to take the TOEFL test. The MELAB test is also accepted.

A satisfactory TOEFL score of 550 (paper based); 213 (computer based); 70 (Internet based); or MELAB score of 75 or above.

In addition, Cleary University accepts the International English Language Testing Services examination (IELTS). Undergraduate students are required to have a minimum score of 5.5. Incoming graduate students are required to achieve a score of 6.5 or above.

For students who score below the requisite admission criteria, they still may be admitted provisionally as long as they enroll in an English as a Second Language (ESL) course in their first session at Cleary University.

For applicants whose native language is English, a proficiency test is not required. Cleary University will also accept the successful completion of a basic composition course, equivalent to ENG 160, at a U.S. college or university with a grade of "C" or higher to meet the language requirement.

Do I need my transcripts evaluated and translated into English?

Yes, your official college or high school records, translated into the English language and evaluated course by course. Transcript must be sent directly from World Education Services to Cleary University, Office of Admissions, 3750 Cleary Drive, Howell, MI 48843.

The following website can assist you with this step: World Education Services.

How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?

A TOEFL/IELTS test score is valid for two years.

Do I need health insurance?

To ensure student safety and security, while in the United States, students are required to purchase health insurance upon arrival. Health insurance fees cost approximately $400-$1,200 for 12 months (one year) dependent on the student's age. Payment for insurance is due upon arrival.

Unlike many countries, the United States does not have socialized medicine.

What documentation will I need when I arrive?

A copy of your passport, visa, I-94 card (which you will receive at your port-of-entry to the United States) and any previous I-20. 

Who should I contact when I arrive in the United States?

Upon arrival at DTW airport, you may contact Rohit Laungani at 773.991.3261 as well as Raj Singh with Metro DTW Sedan who will transport you from the airport to a local hotel near campus at 734.945.6067

Will I be able to work while enrolled as a student?

Nonimmigrant Undergraduate F-1 Cleary University students may obtain approved on-campus employment. On-campus employment includes:

• Employment by Cleary University.

• Work at Cleary University extension site office.

• Be in good academic standing

• Not have reached program end date

• Approved by Designated School Official

Student may work up to 20 hours per week during school periods and up to 40 hours per week during school breaks.

Student must be:

• In-status Pursuing a full-time course of study

• Pursuing a full-time course of study

Nonimmigrant F-1 students are responsible for filing a non-resident tax return (1040-NR) at the end of each year the student is employed.

F-1 graduate students may be eligible for off-campus employment during their second semester in what is known as Curricular Practical Training, or CPT.

Graduate students enrolled in the Masters of Business Administration Program with the prescribed Curricular Practical Training component have the opportunity to work up to 40 hours per week as prescribed by their MBA program of study off campus in a business or company that will provide the necessary U.S. work experience.

Student must be:

• Pursuing a full-time graduate course of study

When can a student start CPT when enrolled in the MBA/CPT program?

Students can begin work on their curricular practical training during their second semester enrolled. It is important to note that the curricular work experience in the MBA program is aimed at enhancing the learning experience in the United States business sector and earnings from this experience should be supplemental in nature and NOT be the sole source of tuition and fees required for the program.

What are the kinds of companies that one can work for during the CPT?

Students are able to work for any number of companies while in enrolled in the program during their second semester. The work experience must align with their learning experience associated with the program.