Financial Aid: The Process | Cleary University

Home » Financial Aid » Financial Aid: The Process

Financial Aid: The Process

Financial Aid: Home | The Process | Types of Aid | Costs | References

Completing the FAFSA

  • Federal and State Financial Aid is available for most United States citizens and many eligible non-citizens. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed to be considered for all types of financial aid (federal, state, and institutional) received while attending Cleary University.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at
  • Apply for a FSA User ID at Both the student and at least one parent (if the student is considered a dependent student) needs a FSA User ID.
  • Enter 002246 as the school code for Cleary University on the FAFSA form. For students planning to attend a Michigan college or university, a private college or university should be listed as their first college choice, as the State of Michigan considers the first college choice when determining eligibility for a Michigan Tuition Grant (MTG). Be sure to review and submit. We will respond with an award offer in a few weeks.

Aid Eligibility

How Aid Is Determined
  • The type of awards and the amount offered are determined by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) generated when you submit your FAFSA. The EFC is subtracted from the Cost of Attendance Budget to determine need.
  • The Cost of Attendance (COA) is a budget used in determining financial aid eligibility. Included in the COA are estimates of tuition & fees, books and supplies, which are considered direct expenses and also indirect expenses such as living and transportation estimates. The COA isn’t a bill, but gives you a good estimate of what your educational expenses may be for the year.
  • If your EFC is higher than you COA, you may still be eligible for non-need based financial aid, such as student loans. We encourage everyone to apply for aid to find out what options you may have for financing your education.
Degree Completion Requirement
  • Program credit requirements are met by completion of required or elective course credit, application of transfer credit, and/or application of prior learning, non-traditional credit. The student works with his or her advisor to ensure successful completion of degree requirements. Financial aid students must be in a degree-seeking program, attending and participating in classes, and making progress toward their degree to maintain financial aid eligibility (See Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy).
Preparatory Coursework
  • A course designated as a pre-requisite may be needed before being accepted into a desired class. Financial aid may be granted for preparatory coursework as long as the work is applicable toward a degree and completed within one year prior to program start.  Remedial coursework in itself without being applicable toward a degree is not financial aid eligible.
Provisional Admission
  • Provisional admission may be granted to students who do not meet all admission requirements but demonstrates exceptional promise. Please contact the Office of Admissions at or (517) 338-3330 for details.
Repeated Courses
  • In an attempt to improve a grade previously earned or to enhance or refresh learning, a student may wish to repeat a course. If the retake is for a previously passed course, the student may only receive aid for that class one time. For this purpose, passed means any grade higher than an “F,”. Failed courses may be retaken more than once as long as the student continues to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress per Cleary University Policy.
Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • The United States Department of Education requires students receiving Financial Aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress.The policy is divided into three components:
    1. Pace of progression
    2. Hours attempted and completed
    3. Cumulative grade point averageFor more information, see the full Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.


  • Your file may or may not be selected for the Verification progress. In this process, information will be compared from your FAFSA application with transcripts of your tax returns that you will need to request from the IRS, number of family members, number of college students in the family, or other financial documents.
  • If there are differences between your application information and your verification documents, corrections may be needed on your FAFSA information, which could result in a revision to your financial aid awards.
  • Tax information may be obtained from the IRS by requesting online from or calling (800) 908-9946.

Notification of Awards

View and Take Action on FA awards via portal
  • Your financial aid awards may be viewed through financial aid on your student portal.
Revisions and Cancellation of Awards
  • Enrollment Status Has Changed
    • Your awards are based on full-time enrollment. Three-quarter-time or half-time enrollment will most often affect your grant eligibility. Students must be at least half-time to receive most types of financial aid. Less than half-time enrollment may result in the cancellation of your awards for that semester.
  • Declined One Or More Awards
    • Your financial aid awards are an “offer” and you have the right to accept all, accept just a portion, or decline any or all of your awards.
  • Other Resources Have Been Received So Awards Were Adjusted
    • When determining your eligibility for financial aid, we must also consider other financial resources available to you. Some of the most common are: employer reimbursement, outside scholarships and grants, and alternative loans. You are responsible to notify the Financial Aid Office if you have additional resources available. Outside resources may have an effect on some of the awards in your aid package. A recalculation of your award package will be completed and you will be notified of any changes to your package.
  • FAFSA Errors
    • FAFSA errors may be corrected by the student or by the Financial Aid Office during the verification process. This will result in the generation of a new student aid report and may affect awards in your financial aid package.


Receiving Aid
  • All students must be “officially” registered and attending classes. Financial Aid files must be complete and files verified before your aid can be processed and posted to your student account. You may check on the student portal at any time to view disbursements and the status of your aid file.
Cancellation of Loans
  • Students have the right to cancel all or a portion of their student loans up to and including the disbursement date. To cancel loan funds, please contact the Financial Aid office in writing with your request.
Changes in Enrollment
  • Changes in enrollment status could affect your Financial Aid eligibility. Enrollment less than half-time may result in a six-month grace period that will begin on your student loans.
  • Complete withdrawal from classes in most cases will result in a recalculation of your Financial Aid eligibility at the time of withdrawal. Complete withdrawals are calculated and funds returned based on the Cleary Return of Title IV Funds Policy.


Receiving Funds
  • Refunds are scheduled on a quarterly basis. If a student has a credit balance on their account refunds will be made to an electronic account setup with the Business Office.
Refund Status
  • Your refund status may be checked online through the student billing portion of the student portal.

Applying for Summer

Summer Financial Aid Eligibility
  • Most Financial Aid will be disbursed for Fall and Spring, but occasionally if aid was not used at full-time status, or if students had a grade level change, they may be eligible for additional Summer aid.
  • How to apply:
    • To apply for Summer Financial Aid, send a written request to the Financial Aid Office.

Dropping & Withdrawing

Affecting My Financial Aid
  • Dropping credits:
    • Any changes in registration must be approved by an Academic Advisor. Before classes begin, Financial Aid will be adjusted to the appropriate credit level.
  • Withdrawing from the University:
    • A withdrawal processed after the first day of class, will result in aid being adjusted according to Federal guidelines and the Return of Title IV funds policy.


Comments are closed.