2017 Commencement Information
Saturday, May 6, 2017
10:00 AM (EST)
Livingston Campus, Johnson Center
3750 Cleary Drive
Howell, MI 48843
Graduation is quickly approaching and this must be a very exciting time for you! With your assistance, we plan to make this event an enjoyable one for you and your guests. Please feel free to invite your friends and family to attend and celebrate this academic achievement with you.
The Commencement Ceremony will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 6, 2017 in the Lloyd and Mabel Johnson Center for Business and Community Excellence at our Livingston campus. Anyone arriving after the ceremony begins may enter only at the rear doors of the Johnson Center.
Parking on campus is limited and may fill quickly. Overflow Parking is available at the Grand River Plaza Shopping Center, 3599 E Grand River Ave, Howell, MI 48843 near Carson’s. All guests parking in overflow parking will be bussed to the University. If campus parking is full, guests with special needs may continue to be dropped off at the east side of the Johnson Center.
The Johnson Center will be open for seating at 8:00 a.m. When you arrive, please leave your valuables with family or friends. Graduates should plan to arrive no later than 9:00 a.m. for registration and photos in Room 5. Your picture will also be taken by Bianchi Photography during the ceremony. You will be given the option of ordering prints of these photos from Bianchi Photography. Digital copies will be made available to you digitally as a gift from your alma mater!
Diplomas are mailed to your primary address on record. Be advised that the University’s policy dictates that all degree requirements, including prior learning credits, be completed by the end of the summer 2017 semester in order for a student to qualify to march in commencement. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by Assistant Provost, Dawn Fiser.
Congratulations on your achievement! If any questions remain unanswered, do not hesitate to contact your academic advisor. The staff and faculty at Cleary University look forward to sharing this memorable day with you.
A student must meet all academic requirements for graduation, and all financial obligations with the University must be met before the degree being awarded. Degrees are granted at the conclusion of each session.
- A minimum of 120 credits is required for a BBA* with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- A minimum of 33 credits is required for an MBA* with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
*BBA and MBA require completion of a standardized examination.
Applying for Graduation
An application for graduation must be submitted to the Records Office by February 1st for the May Commencement ceremony. Applications can be accessed through the Student Portal. Please contact the Records Office or your Academic Advisor to verify enrollment or degree completion. For additional information, please contact the Records Office.
A duplicate diploma copy is available for $20. Diplomas will not be released until all accounts have been settled with the Business Office. Please allow up to two months for processing.
Commencement refers to the ceremony held annually in May to celebrate students’ completion of degree programs. Commencement is held on the Livingston Campus, Johnson Center.
Commencement Honors & Awards
A bachelor’s degree candidate who maintains a GPA of 3.5 or above is recognized at commencement. Students completing an ABA with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher graduate ‘With Honors.’ Academic honors are not offered as part of the graduate program.
|3.70-3.89||magna cum laude|
|3.90-4.00||summa cum laude|
Academic Excellence Medallion
As a measure of student academic achievement, all graduates at the baccalaureate and master’s levels are required to a standardized test. The University uses this test to measure and improve curricula as well as to measure how well we are doing compared to other institutions. Although there is no minimum score required, the outcomes are important to the University and are used to benchmark student mastery of business core learning outcomes. The results will be used to determine which students qualify for the Academic Excellence Medallion. Students will receive medallions at the commencement ceremony based on the following criteria:
- Students who score in the top 10% (90th percentile and above) in the graduating class will be awarded a gold medallion;
- Students who score in the top 11% – 20% (80th to 89th percentile) range will receive a silver medallion;
- Students who score in the top 21% – 30% (70th to 79th percentile) range will receive a bronze medallion.
At the commencement ceremony, up to three awards are presented to the students who are nominated by their faculty and are selected by the Student Award Committee to receive the following awards:
- President’s Award is based on excellence in teamwork, scholarship, communication and presentation skills, and integration and application of the coursework into the business world.
- Business Innovation Award is presented to a student who has created or initiated an improvement to a business process or product within an existing company, organization, or conglomerate, either public or private, and may include nonprofit institutions.
- Entrepreneurial Award is based on a new product or business venture created or planned to be created as an independent business or is a new product or business venture within an existing company, organization, or conglomerate.