Your blood donation can help trauma victims, surgery patients, premature babies and people with anemia.
To reserve a time to donate, click this link: https://donate.michigan.versiti.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/156518
Here are the eligibility requirements for giving blood:
- You must weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Pregnant women are not eligible to donate blood.
- Women who are breastfeeding are eligible to donate.
- If you are taking antibiotics for an infection, you are eligible to donate blood two days after your course of treatment is complete.
- If you have a fever or a productive cough (bringing up phlem) do not give blood.
- If you do not feel well on the day of the donation, do not give blood.
- Students ages 16 to 18 must meet specific height and weight requirements for whole blood donation. Call Versiti or visit the organization’s website for details.
- If you are 16 years old you can donate with the consent of a parent or guardian if you meet all other eligibility requirements.
- You can donate whole blood every 56 days (eight weeks).
To prepare for a blood donation, get a good night’s sleep, eat a full healthy meal and drink plenty of fluids.
The actual donation process takes about 20 to 25 minutes, but plan on spending an hour and a half at the donation center.
After donating blood, most people will feel fine. Make sure you have a snack at the donation center before you leave. Try to avoid strenuous activity for 12 hours after donating.
Your body continuously makes new blood. The fluid portion of your blood will be replaced within 24 hours. It will take a few weeks to replace the red blood cells.
If you have any questions about giving blood, call Versiti at 866.642.5663.
Versiti, the nonprofit organization conducting the blood drive at Cleary University, works to improve patient outcomes, advance the field of personalized medicine and strengthen the health of communities everywhere. Versiti Blood Center of Michigan has provided blood products and services to local patients since 1955. The center collects more than 135,000 units of blood each year.
About Cleary UniversityFounded in 1883, Cleary University is a four-year, world-class accredited university, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees from a unique Business Arts curriculum, driven by a faculty of thought leaders with deep, practical experience in their industries. Providing on-campus and online education models, Cleary provides a robust athletic program and a rich residence life with nearly 200 students living on the quiet, rolling 50-acre campus. Cleary graduates tend to land jobs faster than their peers and with higher earning salaries at the start of their careers.
Cleary University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a proud member of the HLC Standard Pathway, and an approved institution by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. A nonprofit university, Cleary’s campus is located at 3750 Cleary Drive, Howell, MI 48843, (800) 686-1883 with an education center within the Durfee Innovation Society at 2470 Collingwood St., Detroit, MI 48206.
- Ranked #5 in the nation for best online business degree (University HQ)
- Ranked #3 in Michigan for best average starting salary two years post-graduation (US Department of Education)
- Ranked #5 in the entire country for its student debt ratio to starting salaries (Wall Street Journal)
- Named “Best for Vets College in 2022” by Military Times
- Earned Gold Level Veteran-Friendly status two years in a row from The Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA) for continued excellence in serving military-connected students in Michigan